Thursday, March 10, 2011

Game Preview: Bastion (Xbox Live Arcade, PC)

A game that has only recently caught my attention is an upcoming Action RPG, made by a group called Super Giant Games, called Bastion. I found out about this game thanks to the guys over at Normal Boots, specifically the Indie Games Searchlight series. It was only a flash during the latest video (Frogetta and Friends), but I was interested. The art style and name just said....AWESOME.

So like any good gaming nerd interested in something, I turned to Google.

I found the website and was instantly interested in the offical trailer.





Pretty spiffy looking isn't it! From what I have been able to dig up, this game focuses on the journey of our hero, called simply "The Kid". He is one of the last survivors of something called The Cataclysm, where the world was sundered and broken up into floating landmasses. At the start of his journey he is off to "The Bastion", a location that everyone agreed to meet up after the event. Once you reach the Bastion, you then begin the process of rebuilding the world.

I was also able to find this handy dandy and spiffy "Hands On" video from Giant Bomb:



The Narrator by the way is not Ron Perlman, thats already been debunked!

Suffice to say this game looks awesome, and I am really excited about it. I love my Action RPGs, and this art direction is something I really like. I also find the way the world builds itself as you move along interesting as well (will this create randomly generated levels I wonder!) and from what has been said we will find upgrades to the various weapons.

Overall this game looks very solid, and as of today Supergiant released a very open release date, of Summer 2011 for the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game. No word on pricing yet though. Once it comes out I know I will be picking it up and reviewing it.

Hope it plays as good as it looks, and if the quality of this game, based on the previews thus far, is any indication of the skill of this new Indie studio, I believe we can expect great things from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment