Thursday, June 30, 2011

Infinite Undiscovery: Clay's 45 minutes of PAIN

Ok now that I have some time to sit down and write, I am gonna do a quick little "review" of Infinite Undiscovery"

Lets call this "Clay's 45 minutes of PAIN with Infinite Undiscovery, the RPG with the SILLY NAME"

I am not going to put any spoiler stuff here because, frankly, its the first 45 minutes of the game.  So you start off with a really badass cutscene with no voices, just music, set against the backdrop of this giant city with this huge thing in the middle with chains everywhere.  Pretty cool.

Then we start the game, and we meet our main character Cappel, aka Cappel the Soother.  IE I hate violence and am a self proclaimed pussy.  Fantastic.  At least he sticks to his morals though...sorta.  Cappel is in jail because everyone thinks he is some super warrior named Sigmund.

After the guard smacks Cappel cause he asked for some food and water (Wow, mean guards), a girl drops in from a vent in the ceiling, knifes the guard and breaks Cappel out.  Why?  Because she thinks he is Sigmund!  See a running gag?  I DO!  The girl basically tries to force Cappel out constantly calling him My Lord Sigmund till Cappel finally gets a word in and says that he is not Sigmund.

The girl then decides to rescue Cappel anyway!  But Cappel tells her he doesn't want to escape, because he wants to avoid trouble and violence.  Ok, I get that.  She then FORCES him to escape, and ends up getting knocked out and leaving me as Cappel to fight 2 guards.

Fantastic I think!  I get to see how these guys did their battle system...

Wait...its real time?

WAIT...its an ACTION RPG!?

WTF this is not what I thought and nothing I looked at in regards to this game mentioned this!  0_o

Ok fine, I can deal with this...and then Cappel starts calling out the special attacks.  Sweet god he sounds gay.
So I kill the 2 guards somehow (SPAM A SPAM A) she joins my party and I get the MENU command.

I go out and start fighting my way out of the jail, and I learn a couple of things:
1) I have almost no control over my party members.  What little control I have has to do with doing this thing called "Connecting" which allows me to tell them to do 1 of 2 things.  You learn this by being told to have Maya (the girl) use one of her bow attacks to blow up an Exploding Barrel (Yup, its an Action RPG yay).  However, I learned LATER during a very important scene that this is an issue.

2) The game does not pause while in the menu system.  If I am trying to use a healing item and I am being attacked, its not gonna stop I am gonna keep being hit.  Yay?

3) I cannot access magic that my party has.  Maya has a healing spell.  I cannot use it, I cannot ask her to use it.  I basically am at her mercy as to when she decides to heal or not.

So I start working my way out.  I hit a staircase and enter a chase scene basically where I run up a staircase being chased by an ogre.  NOW We run into problems.  Firstly, if I am struck while in "Connect" mode the connection breaks, meaning I have to re-enable it.  But if I am hit again (or if Maya is hit) it breaks AGAIN.  Which means I cannot command her to shoot the barrels.

And yes, there are barricades and barrels on my way up the stairs.  However the barrels are guarded by archers.
Who Shoot me
Breaking the Connect
Meaning I cannot shoot the barrels.

This means I gotta get up close with Cappel and fight em, which isnt BAD, but god help me if I hit that barrel with my sword I am dead, cause it does enough damage to instanta kill me

Nevermind I am playing this on EASY.  God help me.  Oh, and every time I outrun the Ogre, he just jumps up the stairs and catches up.  WHATS THE POINT?!  ARG  I cant hurt him, slow him down, anything.  He literally just follows me beating the shit outta me >.>

So eventually I make it to the top of the stairs, Maya having died.  I am treated to a cutscene, and am told to shoot the barrels when the ogre is near em.  Ok thats fine...oh wait now I can't AIM THE SHOT WITH MAYA ALL OF A SUDDEN WTF!  The aim locks and I cannot move her shot.  Ogre catches up, and kills me.

I start the chase again.

Die before I reach the top due to a barrel, and being constantly shot (still having issues with the menu and the game not pausing too.  Healing Potions are USELESS in combat)

3rd time is the charm and I manage to hit a barrel knocking the ogre away and getting a key.

I get out into a dark forest and am told to use Stealth (ie move REALLY slow in the shadows) to surprise dudes.  I do it once, say fuck it, and just go balls out.

Its not so bad here.  The combat is kinda fun now that I am not being chased.  But apparently if I am in the dark my mini map and map fuzz out so I cannot see em >.>  Bloody god!

I get so far in and the OGRE SHOWS UP GOD DAMNIT!  Again he chases me, again I cannot out run him, and again I cannot HARM HIM!

*headdesk*

Finally make it out, get saved by Sigmund and friends.  Sure enough he looks just like Cappel.

Cept for the Armor
And the Cape.

Yea, Cappel looks like him in the FACE.  How could you mix the two up.  THEY DONT EVEN SOUND ALIKE!  Cappel is high pitched, Sigmund has a deep voice.  SERIOUSLY.

We go to camp, and I save.

I am not even sure if I am going to boot the game up again.  SERIOUSLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment